New Student Resources

Welcome to the School of Molecular Sciences! Please read the important information listed below.

For all New Students

• Immunization records – You MUST submit a copy of your Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) immunization records to the ASU Student Health Center before you can register for classes. The record must show a history of two injections with the dates of when your MMR immunization was received OR a blood test showing you are immune to Rubiola. Information and form can be found at

• Update Address/Email Forwarding – It is important to update your address and confirm your Email Forwarding in your MyASU (Profile Tab). I recommend using the Department’s address as a temporary address to ensure that any fellowship disbursement is not sent to your permanent address. The department address is:

PO Box 871604
Tempe, AZ 85287-1604

• Health Insurance – Health insurance is through Aetna. For coverage information and to sign up, go to Health insurance for Fall begins on August 16. Insurance signup will not be available until sometime in July, closer to the start of the semester.

• Sun Card – The ASU identification card is called the Sun Card. The Sun Card Office is located in room 58 on the lower level of Memorial Union. The cost is $25. You will need to have your ASU ID number and a picture ID with you. You also have the option of an alternate Sun Card that is also a debit card. More information available at

• Online Purchase Parking Decal – Once you have activated your ASURITE you can then go to the Parking Services webpage and click on “Tempe” to see how to get a permit.

• Final Official Transcript – If the official transcript you submitted to the Graduate Admission office during the application process did not show the conferral of your degree, you will need to submit an official transcript to Graduate Admissions once your bachelor’s degree has been posted. Check your MyASU for confirmation.

• Direct Deposit – It can take up to 2 weeks for the Direct Deposit to activate, so the sooner you set this up, the better. You will do this through your MyASU, both the employment tab in the staff view, and also the finance tab in the student view. The employment direct deposit will apply to your paycheck associated with the TA/RA appointment and the finance tab will apply to any refunds through the student account.

• General Advice – Late July and early August are extremely hot in Arizona. Afternoon high temperatures can reach near 115 F. It is important that you drink lots of water, and many may find it helpful to use an umbrella to block the sun.

For Domestic Students

• HR Paperwork – You will need to complete new-hire paperwork through our HR area in order to be added to the payroll. We will take care of this during the New Student Orientation. Please bring the necessary documentation with you. There is a long list of documents that can be used, but the most common practice is to use the Social Security Card and Driver’s License or a Passport, which can be used in lieu of both.

For International Students

• Review the International Graduate Student Next Steps and complete all necessary items. This list is compiled by the International Students and Scholars Center (ISSC).

• HR Paperwork – You will need to complete new-hire paperwork through our HR area in order to be added to the payroll. We will take care of this during the English Training period or the New Student Orientation. You will need to bring your Passport and all immigration documentation for this process.

• There is a mandatory orientation for all incoming international students, which will be included on the schedule for the departmental orientation.

• Please keep ALL I-20s that you receive from ASU for the duration of your studies here. It is good to keep a record of these in case you are required to present them at any given time.

• Final/Official Degree Transcript – You MUST bring/submit your final official degree certificate or diploma in order to finalize your admission status with the Graduate Admissions office. This certificate must be presented to the Graduate Admissions office in the Student Services Building or sent by the institution to ASU. Check your MyASU for the required documentation. Please keep in mind that you may need to provide transcripts, mark sheets, and Degree Certificate depending upon institution and requirements set by Graduate Admissions.