Academic Advising

Do you have questions about course selection, degree program requirements, deadlines, or University or School policies and procedures? Advisors in the School of Molecular Sciences are here to help you get answers. And if we can't address your questions, we'll refer them to someone who can.

The SMS advising office is now located in Armstrong Hall (ARM 162).
1100 S McAllister Ave, Tempe, AZ 85287 Google Map

Phone Number: (480)965-7667

Is this your first year at ASU?
First-year students (not including online students) receive advising support from The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

First-year advising


Walk-In Advising

Walk-in advising is designed for quick issues/questions that can be addressed within 10 minutes. Be prepared for your advisor to ask that you make an appointment if your issue/question is not appropriate for a walk-in or cannot be resolved within 10 minutes. Please note all walk-in advising hours are conducted in Arizona time.

We offer virtual advising and you can check in for walk-in advising here (see times below): You may also receive a call from a (480) 965-XXXX number if we are not able to connect with you virtually during walk-in advising.

There may be times where wait times to see an advisor may be longer than expected, especially during busier parts of the academic year, so we encourage scheduling advising appointments when possible. We may also close walk-ins early if the number of students waiting to see an advisor will exceed the posted walk-in hours to ensure advisors can meet with their scheduled advising appointments on time.

Walk-in/Virtual Walk-in Advising Hours for Monday, May 2nd- Friday, May 6th:

  • Monday, May 2nd: 10am-11am
  • Wednesday, May 4th: 3pm-4pm 
  • Friday, May 6th: 1pm-3pm

Walk-in/Virtual Walk-in Advising Hours starting Monday, May 9th-Friday, August 12th:

  • Wednesdays: 11am-1pm
  • Fridays: 1pm-3pm

Our Advising office will be unavailable on the following days due to university events and/or observed holidays:

  • Tuesday, May 3rd (No walk-in/virtual walk-in advising)
  • Friday, May 13th (SMS Advising office closed on this day)
  • Tuesday, May 24th (SMS Advising office closed on this day)
  • Monday, May 30th (Memorial Day; Holiday observed and university closed on this day)
  • Thursday, June 2nd (SMS Advising office closed on this day) 
  • Monday, July 4th (Fourth of July; Holiday observed and university closed on this day)

Note: All walk-in advising times are conducted in Arizona time. 

Virtually check in for walk-in’s at the designated time above by using this link

Meet your advisor

Jessica Shipley
Assistant Director of Academic Services

Jessica has been working in higher education since 2010 and joined ASU in 2013. She serves as the Assistant Director for Academic Services for the School of Molecular Sciences where she manages the academic advising team. She earned her AAS degree in Culinary Studies from Estrella Mountain Community College, her B.S. in Hotel and Restaurant Management from Northern Arizona University, and her M.Ed. in Higher and Post-Secondary Education from ASU. She has served in various volunteer roles at ASU including the Chair for the Council of Academic Advisors and currently serves as a Student Organization Advisor for AZNA Dance. Her advising philosophy is to make sure that every encounter she has with students leaves a lasting, positive impact in their life to further their academic journey. In her spare time, she loves to play volleyball, play her Nintendo Switch Lite, check out new brunch spots with family and friends, and collect superhero stuff.

Ruby Arjona
Academic Advisor

Ruby is an Arizona native who has a passion for educational equity. Ruby earned a Bachelors of Science in Chemistry as well as a Bachelors of Science in Criminology and Criminal Justice from Northern Arizona University. Ruby spent two years teaching high school chemistry, physics and biology in Indianapolis, Indiana as a Teach For America Corps Member. During that time, she also earned her Masters of Arts in Teaching from Marian University. As a teacher, Ruby helped her students achieve their academic goals and develop post-graduation plans. Ruby is excited to work with SMS students as they navigate their academic journey at ASU. On her spare time, Ruby enjoys hiking, baking and spending time with her niece and nephew.

Sarah Johnson
Academic Advisor

Sarah is an Arizona native who has had a passion for supporting students since her undergraduate career. While earning a Bachelor of Science in Psychology, and during her studies for a Master of Art in School Counseling, Sarah continually sought opportunities to help students achieve their academic goals. Now, she is excited to be supporting the students of the School of Molecular Science to achieve these goals too. When Sarah isn't in the office she loves spending her time with her two cats Daisy and Lex, reading, and drawing.

Jenna Simmons
Academic Advisor

Jenna comes to ASU SMS from Northwest Vista College where she was a certified academic advisor. She is originally from Southern California, but moved to Arizona in 2011 to complete her undergraduate studies in Business Administration and Information Systems. Since then, she has worked in a variety of roles within higher education, and enjoys advising students as they navigate through their academic journeys. In her free time, Jenna enjoys spoiling her dog Joey, sampling local cuisine, and hiking in the beautiful desert landscape.



General Information

1. How can I reach an advisor with general questions?

Answer: Students are welcome to call (480) 965-7667 or email to with any general questions. If you call, be sure to leave a voicemail message with your name, ID (number), phone number and brief message. An advisor will respond to your email or phone call as soon as possible.

Students Should See an Advisor To:

   - Register for the first time at ASU 
   - Develop an academic degree plan (and check progress on degree)
   - Learn how transfer courses can be evaluated and applied to specific degree requirements
   - Choose courses for upcoming semesters
   - Change/add major to CHM/BCH or add a CHM/BCH minor
   - Clarify academic policies and procedures
   - Discuss course repeats
   - Review course withdrawal options
   - Learn what it means to be on probation
   - Remove advising holds
   - Discuss personal struggles that hinder academic success
   - Obtain career information

2. Where is the School of Molecular Sciences Office?

Answer: Armstrong Hall (ARM 162).

3. What do I need to bring with me to an advising session?

• Your ASU Affiliate ID NUMBER.
• Any forms that need a signature - filled out as fully as possible before seeing advisor. NOTE: MANY PETITION FORMS NEED TO BE TYPED. If you need to make edits, bring a laptop with you so you can edit your form before your advisor signs the petition.
• If you are a new transfer student, bring a copy of your unofficial transcript documenting all transfer hours.
   - A list of questions to discuss.
   - Be sure to review your DARS Degree Audit prior to coming to the meeting (do not print).

4. What is a DARS?

Answer: The Degree Audit Reporting System or DARS is an automated report that matches courses a student has completed with the requirements of a particular academic degree program (related to catalog year.) For instructions on how to read a DARS report Please review the DARS explainer video on your MyASU in your “my programs” box. 

NEW STUDENTS: if you do not have a link to DARS in the upper right corner of your MyASU, please go to and click on DARSWeb for Students.

- It is important to always review your DARS before meeting with your academic advisor.

New and Prospective Students
- Access your My ASU webpage. Review and address all items listed under “HOLDs” and “TO DOs” in the “My Priority Tasks” box. Be sure to click on the item for detailed information. To access your My ASU page, please log onto, click on My ASU and sign in using your ASURITE userID and password.. 

- If you have completed Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests, please request that the official scores be sent to ASU. Your high school will not send these to ASU. Also, bring an unofficial copy of your scores with you to the advising appointment.  Scores should be mailed to:   

Undergraduate Admissions
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

- If you have completed dual enrollment coursework or are transferring coursework from another college, please be sure to request that official transcripts be sent to ASU. Please contact the registrar's office at the college where you earned the credit and request that your official, final transcript be sent to the ASU Admissions Office. Your high school will not send these to ASU. Transcripts should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Arizona State University
PO Box 870112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

5. I am a current ASU student and am interested in declaring a Chemistry or Biochemistry major - what do I do?


a. Read about all School of Molecular Sciences Majors in degree search

b. Make an appointment with a SMS advisor to officially declare the major: Appointment Scheduler

6. How do I add a concurrent degree?

Answer: Your School of Molecular Sciences advisor may help you get started with the process of choosing a different major or to investigate the possibility of adding a concurrent major. Before meeting with your advisor, we recommend you do a preliminary review of ASU majors by reviewing Academic Programs

 FilePetition to Pursue Concurrent DegreeReview the Concurrent Degree form.


To declare a concurrent degree you must confer with advisors from BOTH disciplines.

- Schedule an appointment with the SMS Advisor Appointment Scheduler

- Schedule an appointment with the other discipline advisors: Directory for Other Advisors

Students must have completed a minimum of 30 college hours (documented at ASU) and have an ASU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to declare a concurrent degree.

Note: Some majors are not possible to complete with the Chemistry/Biochemistry degree as there are too many hours that overlap with major requirements.

7. I am interested in declaring a Chemistry or Biochemistry minor - what do I do?

Answer: Adding a minor to your program is a great way to organize your electives so that you can demonstrate knowledge in a second area of interest.

Please review the current minor requirements in degree search page under minors.

If you are declaring a major or minor in Chemistry or Biochemistry use the Appointment Scheduler to schedule an advising appointment. If you are declaring a major or minor in any other department, you must meet with an advisor in that department. You can find Advising Contact Information at the Advising Directory.


1. How do I take the math placement test?

Answer: You may take the math placement test online. Be aware that your scores will take 48 hours to process in the system. You should not delay in taking your math placement test or taking your requisite math course.

You may take the test three times and the score is good for one year. To take Calculus I (MAT 270/MAT 265) you must score a 76.  To enroll in Precalculus (MAT 170) you must score a 60.

2. How do I take the language placement test?

Answer: You may take the language placement test online. This test is self-diagnostic and should be used as a recommendation for which section you will have greatest success. The results of the test are not reported elsewhere. We recommend you save print a copy of your scores should you need to access them later. New students should bring a copy of their test score to orientation or to their first meeting with their academic advisor.

Registration Issues

(Unable to Register, Reserves, Error Messages, Max Credit Hours, 3rd Time Repeats, Incompletes)

1. I am unable to register for a Chemistry (or Biochemistry) course - what should I do?

Answer: It is important to note what the error states when you are not successful in registering for a course from your MyASUonline.

If the course is a CHM or BCH course, we do not grant class closed overrides.  You may contact advising at if you have additional questions. If the course is not a CHM or BCH course, you will need to contact the department that offers the course to inquire about an override.

Often reserves on chemistry courses are managed by The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (for example: CHM 101, 113, 114, 116). In these instances, we recommend students check the class schedule daily for seat availability as the department may add seats as needed. We also recommend you work with a SMS advisor, especially if you are not able to register for the course the week before the semester begins. 

If the error states that you do not meet the requisites for the course we do not grant pre-requisite overrides.  

If you have met the pre-requisites through courses taken at another institution (or if you have them in-progress at another institution) you should complete an online override request form.  Clearly state which course you are trying to register for and in which semester you intend to enroll in the course, and include an attachment showing proof of registration or final grade in the pre-requisite course.

*NOTE: The advisors in the TEMPE SMS department only process overrides for chemistry and biochemistry courses offered on the Tempe campus.

Contact the appropriate campus office if you need an override into a CHM/BCH course offered on another ASU campus

POLY: 480 965-4464727-1874 override form
DOWNTOWN: 602 965-4464496-0658 (override form)

If the course is not a CHM or BCH course, you will need to contact the department that offers the course to inquire about an override. You can find contact information by going to and searching for the department name.

If the error states that there is a time conflict, you may look for other sections that do not conflict with other courses you have chosen or drop the conflicting course. If you feel that the time conflict error is incorrect, you should email (or go to a walk-in time with) your academic advisor for assistance and referral.

If the error states that you require the instructor or department permission, you will need to contact the department that offers the course to inquire about an override. You can find contact information by going to and searching for the department name.

If you are looking to add a CHM/BCH course with instructor or department consent be sure to check the “special notes” section for the course. This may include additional pre-requisites that are required for the course and instructions on how to receive an override.

If there is any other reason for the error, you should email  (or go to a walk-in time with) your academic advisor for assistance and referral.

2. What does the Green Triangle ( Reserved) mean- why can't I register for this class?

Answer: A course with a green triangle means that the remaining seats are reserved for a specific population. To view the review group criteria, please click on the TITLE of the course. A detail page will open with information on the course description, campus offering the course and farther down the page will be a grid will display that will describes the reserve group. You can also Or hover your mouse over the green triangle and a box will open that describes the reserve groups.
Generally, reserved seats cannot be given to students who do not meet the reserved seat criteria. Approximately 7-10 days before the start of the session any available reserved seats will be made available to the general student population. Any ASU student who has completed the prerequisites can register for the course after this occurs.

Note: Reserves for ON-CAMPUS students means the remaining seats in the courses are for students pursuing an ASU degree “on the ground” rather than pursuing a degree that is offered on-line. All SMS degrees are offered as on campus programs. Thus courses with this reserve may be taken by School of Molecular Sciences students.

3. The course I need is closed (Red X Closed ) - what do I do now?

Answer: Keep Trying! Students may drop and add courses through the deadline date for the session. See the ACADEMIC CALENDAR for these dates.

Monitor the online registration system for open seats or new sections. Be flexible - choose another class, in case you can't get the class you want.

4. I want to register for more than the allowed credit hours - what do I do?

Answer: Please download the Course Overload petition form

Read the criteria closely that is detailed at the top of the form. If you do not meet the criteria to take overload hours you may still file the petition.

Complete the form and send it to  


If you are unsuccessful in a course the first time, you may re-take the course a second time. If you are unsuccessful in two attempts you must request to take the course a third time by way of petition.  The petition must clearly explain what prevented you from being successful in the first and second attempt.  The petition must also include a clear plan of action that entails what you plan to do differently to ensure success if the third attempt is approved.  Download the petition form, complete it, and send it to for an advisor recommendation.  The final decision will be made by the dean’s office for The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.   

If you have successfully passed a course (grade of C or better) ASU does not allow you to repeat the course for a better grade.  Only courses that you have earned a grade of D or E are allowed to be repeated. 

6. I have an “Incomplete” grade for a course - what are my next steps?

Answer: DO NOT register for the class again! It is the student’s responsibility to complete work as outlined by the student and the professor within one calendar year in a timely fashion. Professors will change any incomplete grades to a proper letter grade upon completion of assignments. Any incompletes left incomplete after one calendar year will automatically change to an E grade. For additional information see the concerning this Incomplete Policy.

Academic Success Issues and Concerns

(Dropping, Withdrawing, Off Track, Change out of Major, Probation, Repeating Courses, 3rd Time to Enroll in a Course, Drop Deadlines, Compassionate/Medical Withdrawal)

1. How do I change my major out of the School of Molecular Sciences?

Answer: You do not need to meet with your School of Molecular Sciences advisor. Review the information on How to Change your Major and then contact an academic advisor in the department or school of your new major. You can also complete the change major form online

2. I need to withdraw from a course - what should I do? OR I need to withdraw from all classes for this session OR I need to withdraw from all Summer hours.

Answer: Before withdrawing from a course, please review the following information and then schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor to discuss your situation and options.

After the published drop/add deadline of fall and spring semesters (see ACADEMIC CALENDAR for these dates), sStudents may withdraw from any class and receive a grade of "W." Classes with alternate beginning or ending dates (such as summer session classes or Session A/B) may have an adjusted withdrawal deadline. Students can request a course withdraw from a course online by signing into My ASU and clicking the registration link then Drop/Withdrawal. or in person at any registration location. See below information should you want to withdraw from all courses in a session.

Classes from which students withdraw will remain on their transcript with a grade of "W." Please consult the Tuition Refund Policy to determine whether withdrawing will or will not generate a tuition refund.

Students should be aware that nonattendance will not automatically result in being dropped/withdrawn. Instructors have the right to exercise this option at their discretion. Students unable to complete a class must officially drop or withdraw themselves from the class prior to the appropriate deadline. Failure to withdraw from a class may result in a final grade of "E" being assigned for that class.

Students should also be aware that dropping below full-time enrollment (12 credit hours) may have serious consequences e.g. critical tracking status, financial aid/scholarships, student visa status, housing, and insurance.

3. I need to withdraw from all of my classes - what should I do?

Answer: Students may request a complete withdrawal from the university until the semester transaction deadline, please consult the Academic Calendar for appropriate deadline dates.

Complete withdrawals should be viewed as a last resort as there may be serious academic and financial consequences in processing a complete withdrawal. Because making a complete withdrawal from the university is a difficult decision, the university has many resources in place to help. Beginning the first day of classes (for the fall and spring semesters), undergraduate students are required to meet with an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to facilitate the withdrawal process or explore other potential options. For more information on complete withdrawals, please see: Complete Session Withdrawal Information - College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.

Check with your academic advisor prior to making the decision.  On-ground students must fill out a complete session withdrawal form. ASU online students may withdraw from all of their courses without completing the form.  It is still recommended to consult with a SMS advisor prior to making the decision.

4. I registered for one summer class. CSummer classes haven’t even begun yet but the system will not let me drop the courses. How do I drop the course?

Answer: Review the withdrawal policy. Dropping all courses from a session is considered a complete withdrawal rather than a single course withdrawal/drop. This is the case even if the session has not started. When you attempt to drop a course that has not started, and the course you are dropping is the only one for which you are registered in the session, you need to READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY that appear on the registration system as they will state clearly how you do a complete session withdrawal. This is a different process than dropping just one course but retaining others in a session.

If you are successful in obtaining a COMPLETE SESSION WITHDRAWAL before the course (s) actually begins, the course(s) will not appear on your transcript.

5. How can I find the deadline for dropping and adding courses?

Answer: All deadlines related to academics can be found on the Academic Calendar.

You may also check the calendar icon next to each class on your schedule ion
MyASU for the prorated drop/withdrawal deadline dates to verify the last day you may withdraw. Prior to the deadline, students can withdraw from any class and receive a grade of "W" which will remain on a transcript. Please consult the Tuition Refund Policy to determine whether withdrawing will or will not generate a tuition refund. Students can request a course withdrawal online by signing into My ASU or in person at the Registrar’s Office (SSV 144).

This information is also on the Class Schedule. Click the course title and read the Additional Class Details section.

6. May I add a class after the published deadline?

Answer: Students must follow the late registration procedure to add a class after the add/drop deadline. 

a. Obtain an Enrollment Change Request form from the Registrar’s Office, SMS office, or forms website.
b. Obtain instructor approval and signature (online students may use email in lieu of signature).
c. Obtain department/School approval (this is the department of the course you want to add.)
e. The department/school will submit the form to the registrar's office for processing. Submit the approved form to the Registrar’s Office (SSV 144).

7. I want to drop Organic Chemistry (233, 231 or 234200-level) lecture, but remain in the lab. MyASU will not allow me to do so online. How can I do this? Can I get an override?

Answer: You cannot drop an organic lecture and remain enrolled in the accompanying laboratory. Overrides will not be granted. Why? The organic chemistry lecture courses (CHM 231, 233, and 234) are pre- or co-requisites for the laboratory courses (CHM 235, 237 and 238) because the laboratories require understanding of organic chemistry that can only be gained in the lecture courses. The information learned in the lecture is necessary to be successful and safe in the lab. If you are currently not succeeding in mastering the material in the lecture, you should consider dropping both the lecture and the laboratory course. Before making this decision, you should discuss the implications and options with your major or pre-health advisor.

8. My cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 and I need to have the Advising Liberal Arts hold removed.

Answer: Students whose GPA places them below good standing as defined by Arizona State University or their particular college are placed on academic probation. If you have fallen below 2.0 cumulative GPA within The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences you have been placed on aYou are in danger of academic probation and likely if you  have an advising hold and your GPA is below 2.0. Students whose GPA places them below good standing as defined by Arizona State University or their particular college are placed on academic probation. You must make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor to learn how to avoid being disqualified from the university on probation and before your advising hold will be removed. You must complete the Academic Success Plan prior to this appointment. This form will be provided by your academic advisor. For additional information, please contact your academic advisor.

All students placed on probation or warning must complete an academic success plan and must complete UNI 220 Mindset Connections(1) Academic Refresher to graduate. You will see this requirement on your DARS if you are placed on academic probation.

9. I am off- track (one semester) and need to have the eAdvisor hold removed.

Log into your MyASU, review your major map to find out why you are off-track and run a critical requirement audit from the My Progress Reports (DARS) link. Then schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor. You must meet with your advisor before the off- track hold will be removed.

10. I am off track two terms do I have to and must change my major?

Answer: You do not need to meet with a School of Molecular Sciences advisor if you have a hold that states you must change your major. Review the information on How to Change your Major and then contact an academic advisor in the department or school of your new major. If you are not eligible for the new major, we recommend meeting with an SMS advisor to discuss possible options.

11. I need to retake an ASU course. What do I need to do?

Answer: Be sure to read the Repeat Policy. Please note that you may not repeat a course in which you have earned a grade of C or higher. Also note that there are two policies regarding grade replacement based on when you were first admitted to ASU. These policies dictate whether or not a course grade is replaced in your ASU cumulative GPA or if the grades will be averaged. The repeat policy only applies to ASU credit.

12. I need to take a course for the 3rd time.

Review the information concerning Petition to Repeat Coursework a Third Time.

The petition must be typed. Discuss the petition with an SMS advisor and get their recommendation on the petition.  You can also submit the petition to your SMS advisor online at NOTE: These petitions have deadline dates and processing time may be 4-612 weeks from the date of submission.

13. I need a Medical/Compassionate withdrawal - what should I do?

Answer: First, please review course withdrawal and complete withdrawal information to understand all of your options.

A medical/compassionate withdrawal request may be made in extraordinary cases in which serious illness or injury (medical) or another significant personal situation (compassionate), not related to the student's personal physical or mental health (for example, care of a seriously ill child or spouse, or a death in the student's immediate family), prevents a student from continuing his or her classes, and incompletes or other arrangements with the instructors are not possible.

Please visit Medical/Compassionate Withdrawal Request Procedure online to review eligibility, gather all necessary documentation related to your request, and download the request form. All requests are reviewed by the College. Approvals are granted on a case-by-case basis. If you have additional questions, please contact the College at 480.965.6506.

Career, Research and Internship Opportunities

1. How do students participate in research in the School of Molecular Sciences?

Answer: There are many opportunities for students in the School of Molecular Sciences to work with faculty doing research. You can find more information on how to do research at our Undergraduate Research Page. Be sure to peruse all of the links on the right side of that website.

Students may do research which is related to chemistry or biochemistry outside the School of Molecular Sciences, but projects need to be approved by our department if the student wants to receive BCH or CHM credit for the experience.

2. I would like information about careers and internships in Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Your advisor can give you some tips about finding an internship. The Career and Professional Development Services office Services Office can also provide you with information on how to find an internship also keeps internship information by major on their Report Page.  We also recommend setting up a handshake account to browse open internship opportunities. 

Another great source of career information can be found on What Can I Do With This Major?

    Biochemistry Major
    Chemistry Major
    Environment Related Major

Transfer Credit Concerns

1. Where can I find information about how courses transfer to ASU from Arizona Community Colleges, University of Arizona, and Northern Arizona University?

Answer: Students can find information about transferring within Arizona's public institutions of higher education by going to the Course Equivalency Guide.

2. Can I take a single community college class and transfer it to count towards my degree?

Answer: The maximum number of community college units that you can transfer toward your ASU degree is 64. Keep in mind that all credits taken at a community college may not be transferable to ASU, and even some community college credits transferred to ASU may not be applicable to your major requirements. If you plan on taking a community college course during the academic year or summer, you should meet first with your academic advisor to determine if the course will transfer to ASU and will apply toward your degree. Transfer credit is generally not awarded for courses in which you earn a grade lower than a "C". The grades for courses transferred from other institutions are not included in the calculation of your ASU GPA. They also cannot be used to replace a grade in your ASU cumulative GPA, nor for scholarship renewal criteria..
Credit Concerns
(Upper Division 45 Hour Requirement, AP/IB Credit, Science and Society Requirement)

3. What are upper division units and how many do I need for my degree?

Answer: Upper-division units are earned by completing courses numbered 300 or higher. For example, taking BCH 461CHM 341 or MUS 354 will earn you 3 upper-division units. ASU requires all students to complete a minimum of 45 units of upper-division coursework for graduation.

4. Where can I find information regarding Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) credit?

Answer: On the Credit By Examination Page.

5. Where can I find more information about Science and Society courses?

Answer: Science and Society courses need to be completed by students in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who are pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree. More information can be found on the Science and Society page.

6. Where can I find more information about Second Language Requirements?

Answer: A second language is required for students in The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree.  Students must complete fourth semester proficiency.  Language placement and proficiency exam information can be found on the Second Language Requirements page


1. What do I need to do to apply for graduation?

Answer: For more information about graduation, visit You may also find information in the "Graduation" tab of MyASU.
Students who want to attend The Collegethe CLAS Convocation must RSVP by the published deadline date. Once your application for graduation has been acknowledged by the Graduation Office, information about attending Convocation will appear on your MyASU. Students may also attend commencement ceremonies.  RSVP information for commencement will also appear under the graduation tab on your MyASU. 

2. How can I prove I have graduated from ASU aside from showing my diploma?

Answer: Once your degree has posted, it will show on your transcript. If it has not yet been posted, please contact the Graduation Office at 480.965.3256 for more options.


1. I am interested in a pre-health field (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary, optometry, chiropractic, podiatry, naturopathy, physician assistant, occupational therapy, or physical therapy). Where can I receive more information?

Answer: Chemistry and Biochemistry degrees are strong majors for students who anticipate applying to professional programs.  
Students can meet with their School of Molecular Sciences advisor regarding any of the pre-health tracks, but it would be best to seek advice from. You can also meet with a pre-health advisor.  There is also pertinent information on the  and get more information through the Pre-Health Website.


Registrar Issues
(Ordering a Transcript, Proving Full-Time Status)

1. How do I order transcripts?

Answer: You may request both unofficial and official transcripts through your MyASU homepage by clicking "My Classes">>, "Grades & Transcripts">>, "Transcripts & Test Scores">>, then select “unofficial” or “official” transcript from pop-up box and follow prompts.

2. I need to prove I am enrolled or have full-time status (for insurance purposes, loans, scholarships, etc) - how do I show this?

Answer: To make a request of this information, contact the Registrar’s Office.  You can also do this online from your MyASU by clicking grades and transcripts>>transcripts & test scores>>enrollment verification.

Other Issues and Concerns

1. I have a Junior Check-in hold - what do I do?

Answer: We want to meet with our Juniors to develop an academic plan for their remaining semesters including but not limited to: graduation, study abroad, careers, and internship and research opportunities. . Please make an appointment with your academic advisor on the on-line scheduler. Make sure to add a note in your request to meet that you are coming for your JUNIOR CHECK. The Junior Check notice does not prevent registration, but it is important to meet with your advisor as soon as you have the notice.

Use the Advisor Online Scheduler to schedule an appointment.

2. Who do I contact concerning financial aid or scholarships?

Answer: All questions related to scholarship and financial aid must be addressed to the experts in these offices.
Contact a Financial Aid Counselor or by calling 855480.965.3355.278.5080

Students are responsible for knowing their scholarship renewal criteria and can find more information on the scholarship renewal page.

3. I need a College Dean's signature. Where do I go?

Answer: The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office is located in Armstrong Hall. There is a reception area that can assist you in getting to one of the Dean's designees regarding a signature. Please note that signatures are never guaranteed. You may consider meeting with an academic advisor prior to requesting to meet with a Dean to see if it is absolutely necessary to achieve the results you desire.