Department of Chemistry Biochemistry

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay the application fee?
Yes. The application fee is paid with the general graduate application. The fee is $70 for domestic students and $90 for international students. The application fee will be refunded to all students who are admitted and choose to join our program. This fee is set by the University and is out of our control.

If I send my application information in an email, can I receive a pre-evaluation to see if I am eligible to apply?
We receive many inquiries and applications; therefore, we are not able to preview your scores to determine your eligibility to apply or make suggestions on your credentials. Please review the application information for information about the qualification preferences.

I missed the deadline for application. Can I still apply?
Applications received after the Jan. 1 deadline for admission may be reviewed and considered for admission if space permits; however, the applicant may not be eligible for special scholarships or fellowships and domestic students may miss an opportunity to attend our Visitation Weekend. International students must consider important dates for the issuance of immigration documents. Applications are only accepted for the fall semester. We do not admit students to begin study in the spring semester.

Do all supporting documents need to be submitted by the deadline date?
Supporting documents may be submitted after the deadline; however, preference is given to applicants whose files are complete by the application due date. Submission of documents after the deadline may exclude your application from eligibility for special scholarships or fellowships and domestic students may miss an opportunity to attend our Visitation Weekend.

Is a Master's degree required for applying to the PhD Program?
Students applying to the PhD programs must have completed a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or a related discipline by the semester in which they want to begin their graduate program. A Master’s degree is not required, with one exception. Due to differences in the educational system in India, applicants who have received their degree from an institution in India must have also completed a Master's degree. (4-year degrees, usually Biotechnology degrees, from India are considered equivalent to a 4-year BS degree and do not require an accompanying Master’s degree.)

Why can't I access the Departmental Supplemental Application page?
You will need an ASURITE ID from Graduate Admission Services before you can access this page. Graduate Admission Services will not send your ASURITE ID until you have completed and submitted the general application, i.e. you must click the "submit" button at the end of their application. Please also make sure that the email containing your ASURITE ID has not been caught in your SPAM filter.

If you have received your ASURITE ID and you still cannot access the application, please wait 1-2 days to allow for our supplemental application database to sync with the Graduate Admission Services database (due to the schedule, this can take up to 48 hours). If after 48 hours you still cannot access the application, please check your MyASU to confirm that you have an application on file. If when accessing the application you encounter a page requesting that you log out, please follow the log out instructions, close your internet browser, and then try the link again. You may also need to log out of MyASU directly, since many browsers allow for MyASU to remain logged in, which can cause an authentication time-out error for the supplemental application. After logging out of MyASU, close your browser and then attempt to access the supplemental application again.

How many students will you admit this year?
Our recent incoming classes have ranged from 30-40 students, selected from ca. 450 applicants. The class size for any given year will be determined by faculty demand for new students.

Do I need to send official transcripts to both Graduate Education and the Department?
Applicants are asked to submit an electronic copy of their unofficial transcripts as part of the Supplemental Application to the School of Molecular Sciences. SMS will use the unofficial transcripts for their review. Official transcripts must be sent to Graduate Admission Services for evaluation for you to be eligible for admission. Please do not mail your official transcript or any documents to the School of Molecular Sciences.

Where do I send official documents?
If sending by U.S. Mail, use this address:
Arizona State University
Graduate Admission Services
PO Box 871003
Tempe, AZ 85287-1003

If sending by FedEx, DHL or UPS, use this address:
Graduate Admission Services
Arizona State University
1151 S. Forest Avenue, #SSV112
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112

Do not mail any documents, including official transcripts or copies of test scores to the School of Molecular Sciences.

Where can I find the form for recommendation letters?
There is no form for recommendation letters; they are submitted electronically. Within the Supplemental Application you will provide email addresses for your recommendation writers and an email will be sent to each recommender with instructions on how to submit a letter in support of your application. We can only accept letters of recommendation that are submitted electronically using our system.

Which professors are actively recruiting students, and should I contact individual professors to see if they will consider me for their research group?
Professors' group requirements change constantly and we are not able to provide a list of actively recruiting faculty. However, all students, whichever professor they eventually work for, must first apply to and be accepted into the program. Individual professors do not make decisions regarding admissions and should not be contacted with admission inquiries. Professors will often discuss research projects by email with enthusiastic applicants.

What kind of financial support is available through the department?
All students accepted into the PhD Chemistry/Biochemistry programs are offered financial support by means of a Graduate Assistant position. There are also a limited number of first year fellowships. Fellowship recipients are selected by the admissions committee based on their merit and overall comparison with other applicants.

Students are welcome and encouraged to apply for fellowships available through the office for Graduate Education or federal agencies (i.e. NSF, NIH, DOE, etc.) to supplement or substitute for the standard funding, which can often allow for additional focus on research and a reduction in the time required to complete the degree.

Is there a special form to complete for financial support via a Graduate Assistantship?
There is no additional paperwork to complete for a Graduate Assistantship.

I am an international student, when should I submit the Financial Guarantee Form?
The Financial Guarantee form should be submitted only if you are accepted to a graduate program. Graduate Admission Services will send information on completing this form with their official admissions notification. Information on how to complete this form will also be included in the official offer letter.

How can I check the status of my application?
Your application status can be checked in two places:

  • For your general application, please check your MyASU portal, specifically your Priority Tasks panel for any required items that need to be submitted. If your application status is “In Review” your official application is complete and nothing further is required for the official application.
  • For the Supplemental Application, please log in and click the "Check Documents Status" bar at the top of the application. All information that has been submitted is live and can be seen by the committee, there is no final submit button.

When will a decision be made on my application?
The School of Molecular Sciences Admissions Committee will begin their review of applications close to the deadline. The number of applications received in the past few years has averaged over 450 per year; therefore, it may take up to 6 weeks before notices are sent. The Admissions Committee appreciates your patience while they carefully review each applicant's qualification for our graduate programs.

Where can I find information about the Graduate Admission Services application and how do I contact them if I have a question?
Information on the Graduate Admission Services application can be found on their website or you can contact them by email or by calling 480-965-6113. Additional information can be found on their Contact page.

Does ASU offer an MS degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry?
The School of Molecular Sciences is not admitting students for independent MS degrees.